How to dominate the local furniture market without having your own production
The article is devoted to the analysis and forecasting of the institutional structure of the furniture market in Russia, taking into account the theory of economic dominance in a multilevel economy. It is shown that despite the conservative changes in the market, a stable hierarchy of companies has quickly developed on it, which determines the architecture and logic of its development in the medium term. The article examines in detail the situation in the Russian furniture market in 2020, which arose under the influence of the current epidemiological and economic situation. In the context of the groups described in this theory, the factors that furniture companies had to face depending on their size, market position and organizational structure are shown, the prospects for their development are assessed and general recommendations are given for each group. Identification of the key market players and comparison of the institutional strength of its participants belonging to different levels of the hierarchy makes it possible to form scenarios for its development and build appropriate forecasts for the development of this sector of the economy. Particular attention is paid to the relationship between the structure and key players in the furniture market and the housing construction market. It is shown that there is a potential for mutual strengthening of the institutional strength of the key players in both markets, but so far it has been implemented to a weak degree. These relationships are expected to strengthen in the coming years.
1. Blokhin A.A. Institutional rent in a multilevel economy // Problems of forecasting. 2019;4:16-26. (In Russ.).
2. Blokhin A.A., Lomakin-Rumyantsev I.V., Naumov S.A. Alfa-business in the Russian food market // Economic strategies. 2019;6:68-77. (In Russ.).
3. Vertogradov V.A. Market strategies of alpha, beta, gamma in the context of the theory of economic dominance // Economic strategies. 2020;2:50-53. (In Russ.).
4. Studnikov C.C. Higher education in Russia: the heyday of economic dominance // The world of the new economy. 2021;1:112-120. (In Russ.).
5. Mertsalova A., Shchurenkov N., Kostyrev A. The shavings were removed from the furniture // newspaper «Kommersant», No. 221 of 2.12.2020. URL: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4594631
6. RBC Market Research. Furniture retail chains, 2019. URL: https://marketing.rbc.ru/research/issue/64188
7. Mauborn Rene, Kim Chan V. The strategy of the Blue Ocean. How to find or create a market free of other players. Publisher: Mann, Ivanov and Ferber, 2020. 336 p. (In Russ.).
8. Fligstin N. Architecture of markets: economic sociology of capitalist societies of the XXI century / translated from English by A. A. Kurakin; edited by V.V. Radaev; National. research. un-t «Higher School of Economics». Moscow: Publishing House of the Higher School of Economics, 2013. 392 p. URL: https://publications.hse.ru/books/94309661
9. Blokhin A.A., Sternik S.G., Teleshev G.V. Institutional transformations of housing construction in 2020 // Problems of forecasting. 2021;2(185):43-55. (In Russ.).