The article provides a comparative assessment of the digital maturity of the leading oil and gas companies of the Russian Federation admitted to work on the Arctic shelf (PJSC Gazprom Neft and PJSC Rosneft) in the exploration and production segment according to the stages of the «thing-digit-thing» cycle, as well as a comparison with leading practices in the field of project logistics on the shelf. It identifies approximate cost-cutting limits of digital transformation in Arctic projects and factors limiting cost efficiency of offshore projects in the Russian Arctic. The goal of the study is to identify a potential increase in digital maturity and scope of digital transformation in the Arctic project supply chain in Russia. The study is based on modern approaches to sustainable supply chain management in oil industry and supply chain streamlining for offshore projects. The article identifies a group of factors limiting cost efficiency of Arctic projects, specific to the Russian Arctic. It is established that the main factor limiting digital transformation of offshore projects in the Russian Arctic is the increasing technological underperformance of oil service companies. To build capacity in digital maturity of the offshore project supply chain, it is necessary to focus on disruptive technologies that could significantly lower the cost of oil production in the Arctic area.
1. The Strategy for the development of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation and ensuring national security for the period up to 2020: Approved by the President of the Russian Federation on February 20, 2015 [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: http://www.government.ru (accessed: 26.05.2021).
2. Alekseev A. Digital strategy of the exploration and production unit: speed and efficiency //Siberian oil. 2019. No. 2 (159). pp. 24-27.
3. Ampilov Yu. On the difficulties of developing the shelf in Russia [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://neftegaz.ru/analisis/interview/328568-o-trudnostyakh-osvoeniya-shelfa-v-rossii-intervyu-professora-yuriya-ampilova (accessed: 26.05.2021).
4. Kozlova D. Digital oil production: tuning for the industry Report of the consulting company Vygon consulting / D. Kozlova, D. Pigarev. 2018. p. 61. [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://vygon.consulting/upload/iblock/d11/vygon_consulting_digital_upstream.pdf/ (accessed: 26.05.2021).
5. The IEA gave a forecast for the price of oil by 2030 / / Rambler, October 13, 2020 [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://finance.rambler.ru/markets/45003511/?utm_content=finance_media&utm_medium=read_more&utm_source=copylink (accessed: 29.05.2021).
6. Digital transformation in the field of oil and gas exploration and production. Report of the Deloitte Solutions Center for Energy Sector Enterprises. 2018. p. 28. [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/ru/Documents/energy-resources/Russian/online-from-bytes-to-barrels-ru.pdf/ (accessed: 26.05.2021).
7. Development of technical and economic proposals (TEP) and TEP adjustments for the development of priority subsurface areas located on the continental shelf of the Russian Federation. Adjustments of the TEP for the development of the Leningrad, Rusanovsky, Nyarmeysky, Skuratovsky license areas. Moscow. Gazprom VNIIGAZ. 2013.
8. The Saudis called the level of break-even oil production in Russia [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://www.ridus.ru/news/312543 (accessed: 29.05.2021).
9. Development trends-2019. 10 key factors influencing the future of the mining sector // Energy and mining industry [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://www2.deloitte.com/ru/ru/pages/energy-and-resources/articles/tracking-the-trends.html/ (accessed: 29.05.2021).
10. Expert: the sanctions relate to all oil and gas equipment purchased by the Russian Federation abroad [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://tass.ru/ekonomika/1477150 (accessed: 26.05.2021).
11. Yakushevich M. Oil without a person: how robots and the Internet of Things have changed oil production [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://hightech.fm/2019/03/22/oil-technology/ (accessed: 26.05.2021).
12. 3rd Technological Conference on Exploration and Production of PJSC NK Rosneft. October, 2017 [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://vygon.consulting/upload/iblock/d11/vygon_consulting_digital_upstream.pdf/ (accessed: 29.05.2021).
13. Software AG: the main directions of digitalization of the oil and gas industry in 2019 [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://www.itweek.ru/digitalization/news-company/detail.php?ID=205147/ (accessed: 26.05.2021).
14. Digital transformation of the oil and gas industry / / IBM for the chemical and oil industry. 2017. pp. 5-12.
15. World Economic Forum. Sigital transformation: An initiative of the oil and gas industry. The White Paper of the World Economic Forum. 2017.
16. Ahmad W.N.K.W. Commitment to and preparedness for sustainable supply chain management in the oil and gas industry / W.N.K.W. Ahmad, J. Rezaei, L.A. Tavasszy, M.P. de Brito // J. Environ. Manag. 2016. No. 180. pp. 202-213.
17. Beier G. Sustainability aspects of a digitalized industry / G. Beier, S. Niehoff, T. Ziems, B. Xue // A comparative study from China and Germany Int J Precis Eng Manuf Green Technol. 2017. No. 4. pp. 227-234.
18. Brun A. A new operating model for well organizations / A. Brun, S. Zharkeshov / / McKinsey&Company Oil & Gas Insights [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/oil-and-gas/our-insights/a-new-operating-model-for-well-organizations (accessed: 26.05.2021).
19. Liew K. Modelling and Risk Management in the Offshore and Marine Industry Supply Chain / K.C. Liew, C.K. Lee // International Journal of Engineering Business Management. 2012.
20. Martin, S. Кanterme R Snabe J H 2017 Digital Transformation Initiative / C. Martin, R. Кanterme, J. Snabe // World Economic Forum. 2017.
21. Peskov D. R. / D. R. Peskova, Yu. Chodkowska, Chirikov V. S., V. S. Sharafutdinov // Development of the business environment of the oil and gas companies in the context of the digital economy. GCPMED International Scientific Conference «Global Challenges and Prospects of Modern Economic Development». 2018. pp. 1205-1212.
22. Schuh Reiner A. Industrie 4.0 Maturity Index: Managing the Digital Transformation of Companies / A. Schuh Reiner, J. Gausemeier, T. Michael, W. Wolfgang // Acatech Study. 2017.