In November 2021, the climate summit of the countries participating in the Paris Climate Agreement will be held. It should be taken into account that the energy and carbon intensity of LNG production during its liquefaction and transportation can be significant. Carbon neutral LNG adds a «Green premium» to the LNG price of 17-37 % of the value of the LNG cargo in the current spot market. The «Green premium» can be estimated at 0,8–$ 1.7/MMBtu or $ 10-20/t of CO2 for removing CO2 from LNG.
The article shows that the carbon intensity of American LNG in Europe is 3 times higher than that of Russian pipeline gas.
1. S.Najm, R.Matsumoto. Does renewable energy substitute LNG international trade in the energy transition? Energy Economics, V 92 October 2020.
2. Gen-Fu Feng, Quan Jin Chu, Jun Wen, Chun-Ping Chang. Does the shale gas boom change the national gas price-production relationship? Exudences from the US market. Energy Economics, V 93 January 2021.
3. Gilbert A.Q., Sovacul B.K. US LNG export: boom or bust for the global climate? Energy. 141, 2017 (1671-1680).
4. Hunpeng Shi, Yifan Shen. Macroeconomic uncertainty and natural gas prices: Revisiting the Asian Premium. Energy Economics, V 94 (2021).
5. Eric Yep, Ksbitir Goliya. Coal. Natural gas. Metals. Energy transition, LNG.
6. Aksyutin O. E., Ishkov A. G., Grachev V. A. Prospects and problems of shale gas production in Europe. Forecasting problems. 2019. No. 5 (176). pp. 141-148.
7. Interview with O. E. Aksyutin. Innovative development //Gazprom Corporate Magazine. 2021. № 3.
8. Sergey Komlev. How much natural gas will Europe consume? // Gazprom Corporate Magazine. 2020. No. 12.
9. Environmental report of PJSC Gazprom for 2019 [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://www.gazprom.ru/f/posts/77/885487/gazprom-annual-report-2019-ru.pdf (date accessed: 20.01.2021).
10. Aksyutin O. E., Ishkov A. G., Romanov K. V., Teterevnev R. V., Pystina E. A. Contribution of the gas industry to the formation of an energy model based on hydrogen //Scientific and technical collection «News of Gas Science», 2017.
11. Forecast of energy development in the world and Russia until 2040 /INEI RAS, Analytical Center under the Government of the Russian Federation, 2013.
12. Kuzovkin A. I. Reduction of exports and prices for Russian gas in Europe in 2020 and their forecast until 2030 //Microeconomics. 2021. No. 1. pp. 62-71.
13. Review of the CEP of Gazprombank’s GPB on January 20, 2021 [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://investvitrina.ru/articles/?tag=CEP+Gazprombank (date accessed: 20.01.2021).
14. Hydrogen production. Wikipedia. 2020.
15. Kangyin Dong, Xiucheng Dong, Xiaohang Ren. Can expanding natural gas infrastructure mitigate CO2 emissions? Analysis of heterogeneous and mediation effects for China. Energy Economics 90 (2020).
16. API vs Gazprom. Different views on the environmental friendliness of LNG from the USA and pipeline gas from Russia [Electronic resource]. – Access mode: https://lngnews.ru/2020/07/4658/api-vs-gazprom-raznye-vzglyady-na-ekologichn/ (date accessed: 20.01.2021).
17. Kuzovkin A.I. On the impact of Nord Stream-2 on the EU natural gas market (analytical review). 2020. No. 4. pp. 76-81.