The article gives a holistic view of the history and current state of the Japanese tea sales in Russia. Growing demand for Japanese tea is caused by population aging, by fashion for organic and healthy food. Asia’s dynamic growth causes a surge of interest for Japanese and Chinese cuisine, where tea plays an important role. Article material will allow to understand the types of Japanese teas and traditions of their production. Dynamics of Japanese teas export in the XIX – early XX centuries and supplies destinations are shown. The article describes mechanisms of Japanese teas falsification and identification of their grades — depending on the season of tea leaf collecting. Information about current state of the Japanese teas market in Russia and about the main players is presented. Considerable attention is paid to the Japanese tea ceramics and traditions of “primitive art”, to special Japanese perception of teaware defects.
- Dele N. Yaponiya vechnaya [Japan Eternal]. Moscow, AST, Astrel’, 2006, 159 p.; Brodskiy V.E. Yaponskoe klassicheskoe iskusstvo [Japanese Classic Art]. M., Moscow, Iskusstvo, 1969, 288 p.
- Vorob’ev M.V., Sokolova G.A. Ocherki po istorii nauki, tekhniki i remesla v Yaponii [Essays on the History of Science, Technology and Crafts in Japan]. Moscow, Nauka, 1976, 231 p. (“Kul’tura narodov vostoka” [Culture of Eastern peoples]). Pp. 75, 79, 96.
- The data from the internal archives of two Japanese Tea Houses. Private collection.
4. Iskhakova T. Garmoniya za chashkoy Chaya [Harmony Over a Cup of Tea]. Nauka Urala, 2006, no. 5 (919), p. 8.
- Keramika Raku: Vselennaya v chaynoy chashe. Proizvedeniya iz yaponskikh sobraniy [Raku Pottery: the Universe in a Tea Cup. Artworks from Japanese Collections]. Moscow, Avgust Borg, 2015.
- A pictorial Shizuokaken Tea Industry [Album of Japanese Tea Industry]. [Japan] [without publishers], 1920.
- Teehдuser in Japan. Baseler Nachrichten, vom 1891, Mдrz, 31; Subbotin A.P. Chay i chaynaya torgovlya v Rossii i drugikh gosudarstvakh: proizvodstvo, potreblenie i raspredelenie Chaya [Tea and Tea Trading in Russia and Other Countries: Tea Production, Consumption and Distribution]. Saint-Petersburg, Tipografiya Severnogo telegrafnogo agentstva, A.G. Kuznetsov, 1892, pp. 392–395.
- Koronatsionnyy al’bom Svyashchennogo Koronovaniya ikh Imperatorskikh Velichestv Gosudarya Imperatora Nikolaya Aleksandrovicha i Gosudaryni Imperatritsy Aleksandry Fedorovny [Coronation Album of the Sacred Coronation of Their Imperial Majesties the Emperor Nicholay Alexandrovich and the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna]. Moscow, Tipolitografiya vys. utv. tov. “I.N. Kushnerev i Ko”, 1898, pp. 18–21.